Sunday 8 March 2009

I can bake!

Something of vengeance I had tasted for the first time; as aromatic wine it seemed, on swallowing, warm and racy: its after-flavour, metallic and corroding, gave me a sensation as if I had been poisoned.  Willingly would I now have gone and asked Mrs. Reed's pardon; but I knew, partly from experience and partly from instinct, that was the way to make her repulse me with double scorn, thereby re-exciting every turbulent impulse of my nature.  I would fain exercise some better faculty than that of fierce speaking; fain find nourishment for some less fiendish feeling than that of sombre indignation.  I took a book--some Arabian tales; I sat down and endeavoured to read.  I could make no sense of the subject; my own thoughts swam always between me and the page I had usually found fascinating.  I opened the glass-door in the breakfast-room: the shrubbery was quite still: the black frost reigned, unbroken by sun or breeze, through the grounds.  I covered my head and arms with the skirt of my frock, and went out to walk in a part of the plantation which was quite sequestrated; but I found no pleasure in the silent trees, the falling fir-cones, the congealed relics of autumn, russet leaves, swept by past winds in heaps, and now stiffened together.  I leaned against a gate, and looked into an empty field where no sheep were feeding, where the short grass was nipped and blanched.  It was a very grey day; a most opaque sky, "onding on snaw," canopied all; thence flakes felt it intervals, which settled on the hard path and on the hoary lea without melting.  I stood, a wretched child enough, whispering to myself over and over again, "What shall I do?--what shall I do?"  All at once I heard a clear voice call, "Miss Jane! where are you?  Come to lunch!"  It was Bessie, I knew well enough; but I did not stir; her light step came tripping down the path.  "You naughty little thing!" she said.  "Why don't you come when you are called?"  Bessie's presence, compared with the thoughts over which I had been brooding, seemed cheerful; even though, as usual, she was somewhat cross. The fact is, after my conflict with and victory over Mrs. Reed, I was not disposed to care much for the nursemaid's transitory anger; and I _was_ disposed to bask in her youthful lightness of heart.  I just put my two arms round her and said, "Come, Bessie! don't scold."  The action was more frank and fearless than any I was habituated to indulge in: somehow it pleased her.  "You are a strange child, Miss Jane," she said, as she looked down at me; "a little roving, solitary thing: and you are going to school, I suppose?"

7 comments:

  1. "To people who have no experience of mental health I think I must sound a bit crazy. I have a psychiatrist, a therapist and am on a massive dose of antidepressants that still aren't helping"

    I worry about this as well, it's something else to add to the already enormous list of why I'll never have a girlfriend :( ugh sorry, I'm just in a bad mood at the moment.

    I hope you can find some time to do your reading and all that.

    Not really been in that situation myself but I can imagine it's awkward feeling like a 3rd or 5th wheel if everyone else is a couple :( I'm resigned to being forever alone, I don't really even expect to be in a situation where I have friends who'd care enough to accommodate me to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baking is good - I haven't had time recently (although that's just an excuse really I suppose) - but what you've described is more of a bakefest - happy days!
    Sounds like you're a tad busy, what are you having to read re poetry? I'm thinking of giving Hermann Hesse a go - liked some of his novels. As for the couples things, hmm been there and not a barrel of laughs. But lack of self esteem, confidence and an abundance of depression isn't necessarily a killer of relationships - I speak from experience!! Take care! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always the single one, and on nights out I can just about tolerate it, I think as you get older the need for PDA diminishes. But what sucks is trying to make plans, only to hear "Oh we're doing X this weekend" Totally amplifies the feeling of singledom.

    What I could never work out, is that so many people have this same predicament, and yet all my friends all seem to be in relationships. There must be a large network of single people out there just twiddling their thumbs and feeling left out!

    I think that you are right to wait a while to find a boyfriend though. Possibly until you are a little happier in yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick - Being fifth wheel is terrible and very uncomfortable so be happy you haven't experienced it! I think any guy who knows me well would never want to go out with me cos they think I'm a bit crazy. I can't see me getting a boyfriend anytime soon either, I just don't seem to be good at finding guys and keeping them around anymore. Thanks.

    Life of chuckles - I guess it was a sort of bakefest, need to have bakefests more often! You should have one, it's fun plus you get yummy food to eat at the end of it!
    I'm reading T. S. Eliot's The Wasteland at the moment plus some horrible renaissance poetry and Tennyson (which I'm not enjoying!).
    Thanks, I'm glad to hear it, maybe there's hope for me yet!

    I wish I could find the network of single people! Being constantly surrounded by couples is obviously rather wearing. I don't know if I'm capable of finding a boyfriend though anytime soon, I'm not good with boys as more than a first or second date, I think I radiate the wrong appearance! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for whining on your blog, I forgot that I wrote that :S

    ReplyDelete