Wednesday 6 May 2009

We regret to inform you...

"Wicked and cruel boy!" I said.  "You are like a murderer--you are like a slave-driver--you are like the Roman emperors!"  I had read Goldsmith's History of Rome, and had formed my opinion of Nero, Caligula, &c.  Also I had drawn parallels in silence, which I never thought thus to have declared aloud.  "What! what!" he cried.  "Did she say that to me?  Did you hear her, Eliza and Georgiana?  Won't I tell mama? but first--"  He ran headlong at me: I felt him grasp my hair and my shoulder: he had closed with a desperate thing.  I really saw in him a tyrant, a murderer. I felt a drop or two of blood from my head trickle down my neck, and was sensible of somewhat pungent suffering: these sensations for the time predominated over fear, and I received him in frantic sort.  I don't very well know what I did with my hands, but he called me "Rat!  Rat!" and bellowed out aloud.  Aid was near him: Eliza and Georgiana had run for Mrs. Reed, who was gone upstairs: she now came upon the scene, followed by Bessie and her maid Abbot.  We were parted: I heard the words--  "Dear! dear!  What a fury to fly at Master John!"  "Did ever anybody see such a picture of passion!"  Then Mrs. Reed subjoined--  "Take her away to the red-room, and lock her in there."  Four hands were immediately laid upon me, and I was borne upstairs.     CHAPTER II   I resisted all the way: a new thing for me, and a circumstance which greatly strengthened the bad opinion Bessie and Miss Abbot were disposed to entertain of me.  The fact is, I was a trifle beside myself; or rather _out_ of myself, as the French would say: I was conscious that a moment's mutiny had already rendered me liable to strange penalties, and, like any other rebel slave, I felt resolved, in my desperation, to go all lengths.  "Hold her arms, Miss Abbot: she's like a mad cat."  "For shame! for shame!" cried the lady's-maid.  "What shocking conduct, Miss Eyre, to strike a young gentleman, your benefactress's son!  Your young master."  "Master!  How is he my master?  Am I a servant?" 

5 comments:

  1. That sounds really fustraiting. Good luck with finding a job, Hannah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm really beginning to need one, there's a definite lack of money x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that because you didn't get the job that you're a failure. Stuff like job finding and getting interviews and all this sort of thing are absolutely chance-filled. They probably start by picking people out of a hat, interviewing them and then giving someone the job. I do hope you find a job soon though, I know how stressful it must be for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. also there's a million and one reasons for someone else to get the job - at my employer it's often about if the applicant has friends in the right places, stuff like that. you'll get something, you're obviously intelligent etc so it's just a matter of time - and trying to keep positive i guess - good luck, i've got my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks anahita and lifeofchuckles, I appreciate it! I'm being daft and overly negative I know, but thanks! I'm bound to get one eventually, right?!

    ReplyDelete