Sunday 24 May 2009

MIA

Nor could I pass unnoticed the suggestion of the bleak shores of Lapland, Siberia, Spitzbergen, Nova Zembla, Iceland, Greenland, with "the vast sweep of the Arctic Zone, and those forlorn regions of dreary space,--that reservoir of frost and snow, where firm fields of ice, the accumulation of centuries of winters, glazed in Alpine heights above heights, surround the pole, and concentre the multiplied rigours of extreme cold."  Of these death-white realms I formed an idea of my own: shadowy, like all the half-comprehended notions that float dim through children's brains, but strangely impressive.  The words in these introductory pages connected themselves with the succeeding vignettes, and gave significance to the rock standing up alone in a sea of billow and spray; to the broken boat stranded on a desolate coast; to the cold and ghastly moon glancing through bars of cloud at a wreck just sinking.  I cannot tell what sentiment haunted the quite solitary churchyard, with its inscribed headstone; its gate, its two trees, its low horizon, girdled by a broken wall, and its newly-risen crescent, attesting the hour of eventide. 

7 comments:

  1. "He said if I was telling the truth then I'd be happy to go to the police"

    What a load of shit. He obviously doesn't realise how difficult it would be to come forward and say that, especially when there are idiots with that attitude around.

    I can't even comprehend how horrible it must be, Hannah :( I'm so sorry that guy took advantage of you like that. I'm glad you told your therapist and I hope that they can help you cope with it whether you decide to go to the police or not. *big hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. *echoes Nick* Mick is talking out of his arse.

    I'm sorry this has happened to you Hannah. I hope you'll be OK ((HUG))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that this has happened to you, Hannah X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. At the moment I just don't know what to do or what I'm supposed to do. What's the point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the feeling :( I hope you are going to be ok Hannah, you aren't a shell even though it may feel that way. You're an interesting and kind person. I really, *really* hope what that Mick said hasn't hurt you too much because you have done absolutely nothing wrong. Going to the police must be a scary proposition but in the end it's up to you and nobody can force you one way or the other.

    Please take care and stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forget what you think you're supposed to do in this situation, you have to find what's right for you. You're in a scary place, but you're not alone. It sounds like your psychiatrist and therapist are good guys and we're here to support you too *waves* no matter what you decide.

    Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. La, Nick - thanks. I really appreciate everyone coming by and saying something, it's good to know people are out there that care.

    ReplyDelete