Monday 13 April 2009

The Start

In five minutes more the cloud of bewilderment dissolved: I knew quite well that I was in my own bed, and that the red glare was the nursery fire.  It was night: a candle burnt on the table; Bessie stood at the bed- foot with a basin in her hand, and a gentleman sat in a chair near my pillow, leaning over me.  I felt an inexpressible relief, a soothing conviction of protection and security, when I knew that there was a stranger in the room, an individual not belonging to Gateshead, and not related to Mrs. Reed. Turning from Bessie (though her presence was far less obnoxious to me than that of Abbot, for instance, would have been), I scrutinised the face of the gentleman: I knew him; it was Mr. Lloyd, an apothecary, sometimes called in by Mrs. Reed when the servants were ailing: for herself and the children she employed a physician.  "Well, who am I?" he asked.  I pronounced his name, offering him at the same time my hand: he took it, smiling and saying, "We shall do very well by-and-by."  Then he laid me down, and addressing Bessie, charged her to be very careful that I was not disturbed during the night.  Having given some further directions, and intimates that he should call again the next day, he departed; to my grief: I felt so sheltered and befriended while he sat in the chair near my pillow; and as he closed the door after him, all the room darkened and my heart again sank: inexpressible sadness weighed it down.  "Do you feel as if you should sleep, Miss?" asked Bessie, rather softly.  Scarcely dared I answer her; for I feared the next sentence might be rough.  "I will try."  "Would you like to drink, or could you eat anything?"  "No, thank you, Bessie."  "Then I think I shall go to bed, for it is past twelve o'clock; but you may call me if you want anything in the night."  Wonderful civility this!  It emboldened me to ask a question.  "Bessie, what is the matter with me?  Am I ill?"  "You fell sick, I suppose, in the red-room with crying; you'll be better soon, no doubt."  Bessie went into the housemaid's apartment, which was near.  I heard her say--  "Sarah, come and sleep with me in the nursery; I daren't for my life be alone with that poor child to-night: she might die; it's such a strange thing she should have that fit: I wonder if she saw anything.  Missis was rather too hard."

5 comments:

  1. Hey.
    No method is better or worse than another. They are all the best awful there is. Just be aware that though the individual overdoses may not kill you the cumulative effects can be bad.
    I went through a period where I habitually overdosed on ibuprofen - ended up having to get an ultrasound to check out my kidneys.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey exactscience, thanks for stopping by. I do occasionally worry about that, did get a liver panel a while ago though and it was ok. Something to keep in mind though I guess. Thanks, you too.

    Thanks Nick, not the happiest story of my past I'll admit.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not read v. many stories of how folks start but the ones I have read seem achingly similar. Like echoes trapped just under the skin, where they're hardest to get at no matter how carefully you plan your plans and go about wanting to live.

    It's a tiring way to cope, no? Not that that makes the temporary fix any less valuable. The point I take is that it kept you feeling something, anything - kept you here when you were in danger.

    It's funny (not haha but funny nonetheless) that pple reckon self-harm/addiction are the problem. That it's outright lunacy to apply whatever ointment we have available if the ointment stings.

    I'm sorry that it hurt so much you felt like any other option would be an imposition on a world that 'did not notice'. So I'm glad you told this story, Hannah because I'm glad I got to notice, no matter how belatedly.

    I wish it was easier to break the silence though I think brave folks like you help on that front. Action is an antidote, of sorts... Or maybe it's just that you being you helps me feel a little less distant too.

    with *hugs and healing vibes*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catatonic kid, thanks for stopping by and you said some really lovely things in your comment.

    I wish I could make a real difference, destroy the stigma surrounding self harm for instance, when for so many of us at one point it has actually kept us going, like with me. It is funny that they think they're the problem, they need to start addressing where self harm and addiction come from, what makes people start.

    It's very hard to break the silence as you say, very few of my friends even know I ever self harmed, they just wouldn't understand. But thank you for noticing, it helps when people come along and say kind things, helps me know I'm not the only one who feels like this.
    Hugs to you too, thanks.

    ReplyDelete