Wednesday 25 February 2009

Therapy, psychiatrists and my bad moods

The afternoon came on wet and somewhat misty: as it waned into dusk, I began to feel that we were getting very far indeed from Gateshead: we ceased to pass through towns; the country changed; great grey hills heaved up round the horizon: as twilight deepened, we descended a valley, dark with wood, and long after night had overclouded the prospect, I heard a wild wind rushing amongst trees.  Lulled by the sound, I at last dropped asleep; I had not long slumbered when the sudden cessation of motion awoke me; the coach-door was open, and a person like a servant was standing at it: I saw her face and dress by the light of the lamps.  "Is there a little girl called Jane Eyre here?" she asked.  I answered "Yes," and was then lifted out; my trunk was handed down, and the coach instantly drove away.  I was stiff with long sitting, and bewildered with the noise and motion of the coach: Gathering my faculties, I looked about me.  Rain, wind, and darkness filled the air; nevertheless, I dimly discerned a wall before me and a door open in it; through this door I passed with my new guide: she shut and locked it behind her.  There was now visible a house or houses--for the building spread far--with many windows, and lights burning in some; we went up a broad pebbly path, splashing wet, and were admitted at a door; then the servant led me through a passage into a room with a fire, where she left me alone.  I stood and warmed my numbed fingers over the blaze, then I looked round; there was no candle, but the uncertain light from the hearth showed, by intervals, papered walls, carpet, curtains, shining mahogany furniture: it was a parlour, not so spacious or splendid as the drawing-room at Gateshead, but comfortable enough.  I was puzzling to make out the subject of a picture on the wall, when the door opened, and an individual carrying a light entered; another followed close behind.  The first was a tall lady with dark hair, dark eyes, and a pale and large forehead; her figure was partly enveloped in a shawl, her countenance was grave, her bearing erect.  "The child is very young to be sent alone," said she, putting her candle down on the table.  She considered me attentively for a minute or two, then further added--  "She had better be put to bed soon; she looks tired: are you tired?" she asked, placing her hand on my shoulder.  "A little, ma'am."  "And hungry too, no doubt: let her have some supper before she goes to bed, Miss Miller.  Is this the first time you have left your parents to come to school, my little girl?"

2 comments:

  1. {{{Hugs}}} Hannah. Don't take what your friend said to heart, really. I think often people say stuff like that without thinking, or because it's something they fear about themselves. Like by telling you not to obsess over boys, she was actually reminding herself. Maybe it's something she is worried that she does, and so notices it more in other people?

    I'm glad you are opening up to your therapist, even though you say you didn't tell them everything, it's a start. You can build on it, or use the skills you are learning to work on the rest yourself.

    Lola x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lola. Both of those could be right, she never thinks before she speaks anyway but she never thinks that perhaps she might upset people. I don't think it's even crossed her mind that I might be upset or annoyed. It just seems like everyone and everything is conspiring against me to make this week totally crap and I don't know how to handle it.

    Yes, hopefully it'll help, I've realised at least that I have an incredibly negative thought pattern so least I'm realising things about myself and how I think.
    {{hugs}} right back to you, hope you're ok. You know where to find me if you want to talk x

    ReplyDelete