Sunday 23 November 2008

Quick Update

Of course I did not--I had never heard of him before; but the old lady seemed to regard his existence as a universally understood fact, with which everybody must be acquainted by instinct.  "I thought," I continued, "Thornfield belonged to you."  "To me?  Bless you, child; what an idea!  To me!  I am only the housekeeper--the manager.  To be sure I am distantly related to the Rochesters by the mother's side, or at least my husband was; he was a clergyman, incumbent of Hay--that little village yonder on the hill--and that church near the gates was his.  The present Mr. Rochester's mother was a Fairfax, and second cousin to my husband: but I never presume on the connection--in fact, it is nothing to me; I consider myself quite in the light of an ordinary housekeeper: my employer is always civil, and I expect nothing more."  "And the little girl--my pupil!"  "She is Mr. Rochester's ward; he commissioned me to find a governess for her.  He intended to have her brought up in ---shire, I believe.  Here she comes, with her 'bonne,' as she calls her nurse."  The enigma then was explained: this affable and kind little widow was no great dame; but a dependant like myself.  I did not like her the worse for that; on the contrary, I felt better pleased than ever.  The equality between her and me was real; not the mere result of condescension on her part: so much the better--my position was all the freer.  As I was meditating on this discovery, a little girl, followed by her attendant, came running up the lawn.  I looked at my pupil, who did not at first appear to notice me: she was quite a child, perhaps seven or eight years old, slightly built, with a pale, small-featured face, and a redundancy of hair falling in curls to her waist.  "Good morning, Miss Adela," said Mrs. Fairfax.  "Come and speak to the lady who is to teach you, and to make you a clever woman some day."  She approached.  "C'est la ma gouverante!" said she, pointing to me, and addressing her nurse; who answered--  "Mais oui, certainement."  "Are they foreigners?" I inquired, amazed at hearing the French language.  "The nurse is a foreigner, and Adela was born on the Continent; and, I believe, never left it till within six months ago.  When she first came here she could speak no English; now she can make shift to talk it a little: I don't understand her, she mixes it so with French; but you will make out her meaning very well, I dare say."

No comments:

Post a Comment